Get on the Road to a Better Career!
You can begin a new career as a professional truck driver. The U. S. Department of Labor predicts that there is a need for over 122,000 new truck drivers through 2030. The median annual wage for heavy and tractor-trailer truck drivers with CDLs was $47,260 in 2020, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics. Gain the knowledge and skills to prepare for and pass the State of Illinois issued Commercial Driver's License (CDL-A) exams.
Course Prerequisites and Special Notes
This 160-hour basic training course will provide students with the knowledge and skills to prepare for the state-issued Commercial Drivers License (CDL-A) exams.
- Must be at least 18 years old (licensing restrictions apply to students under the age of 21)
- US citizen or permanent resident
- Valid Illinois Drivers License, Class "D" or above
- No physical limitations that affect driving ability
- Adequate command of the English language to complete written and demonstration exams, which are conducted in English (free ESL instruction provided at the College of Lake County)
This program may be eligible for funding through the Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA) to qualified participants that are unemployed and meet the eligibility requirements. Call the Workforce Development Department at (847) 377-3450 for additional information.